Monday, January 22, 2007

J.J. Dufresne Has His Eye on You

J.J. Dufresne can often look puzzled, befuddled, confused. It could be because he’s thinking about the big questions, which sometimes leave him feeling puzzled, befuddled and confused. How did he end up like this? What does he want to do with his life? What does he want his life to mean?

Or it could be because he wears dirty contacts. I know, because last night when J.J. crashed on the couch at my house, he left his contact case on the bathroom sink, and this morning, when I was taking care of my own toiletries, I mistook his case for mine. Our prescriptions are very close—I’m a 6.0 in my right eye and a 7.0 in my left; J.J. is a 6.5 in both. For several hours today, I wore J.J. Dufresne’s contacts, I saw the world through his eyes, and upon realizing this – when J.J. went to put his contacts in and found an empty case – I felt puzzled, befuddled, and confused.

"Ewwwwwww," J.J. said. "That's nasty. I hope you don't get some weird ocular disease," he said. "You could sue me for damages, but since I don't have any money, it wouldn't be worth your time. Then you'd hate me. That would be your only recourse."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a hell of a character study indeed. You all are the next John Kennedy O'Toole.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that his name?

Diana said...

We thank you, Mamma.

JJ thanks you, too.